Potatoes are members of the Solanaceae or nightshade family along with eggplant and tomatoes. These are brushed potatoes are loosely washed, and some dirt is left on.
They're used for many purposes like an all-rounder.
• Freshest in Most potatoes are year round.
• Store in fridge crisper or bowl for washed, away from onions.
Did you know?
You can group potatoes as 'waxy', 'floury' / 'starchy', or 'all-purpose' and there's 300+ varieties!
- Waxy varieties are low in starch and hold their shape. Good for: baking, salads, pizza toppers. Eg, Kipfler, Nadine, Bintje.
- Floury / starchy are high starch and also low in moisture and breakdown well. Good for: roasting with flavour as they soak up sauces / butter, hot chips, boiling, gnocchi, mashed potatoes (but, puh-lease don't over work them into glue!). Eg, Coliban, King Edward, Russet.
- All rounders are the safe choice. With medium starch and moisture, they work in all potato recipes, so you don't have to plan your meal before buying these. Eg, Sebago, Desiree, Golden Delight, Kennebec.