Grapefruit, Ruby Red
Grapefruit, what a great fruit! Thought to be orange x pomelo.
This Ruby Red variety is sweeter (eat raw, without adding honey!) although grapefruit is tart! It's a good treat... low joule, low GI, with vitamin C, fibre and minerals.
Grapefruit varieties include the:
- Marsh: traditional yellow skin, pale yellow flesh and no seeds that's mild in flavour.
- Thompson (or Pink Marsh): yellow skin, pink to red flesh and no seeds.
- Wheeny: Well it's not small, actually quite large, with green to yellow thin skin and seeds. It is juicy, lemony and has seeds.
- Ruby Red variety (or Ruby, Rio Red and Star Blush) with an attractive pink inner. it is good looking and sweeter. We stock this variety.
Warning: taking medication? Talk to your doctor before eating grapefruit as it interacts with some medications.
- Freshest in winter, all year round.
- Good for cutting through heavy meat and seafood dishes, salad, fruit salad, juiced, baked goods (marmalade).
- Store in fridge crisper when cut up to 2 weeks.