Eggs, Australian, Organic
It's an eggs-ellent choice to buy organic eggs and support organic farmers! Here's why.
- come from hens that are free to roam in an outdoor area during the day
- are produced without the use of any chemicals, so organic egg farmers can only buy grain from a certified organic supplier who grows the grain without using herbicides, pesticides or synthetic fertilisers.
- there's lower density allowances than in free range (max outdoor stocking density allowed on an organic egg farm is one hen per four square metres where range rotation is practiced, or one hen per six square metres where fixed outdoor ranges are used).
Eggs are good in general with enough nutrients to support life, they're high in cholesterol and relatively low joule. Eggs provide high-quality protein, 11 vitamins and minerals (like vitamin D, A, E, B12, iron and choline), omega-3 fatty acids and antioxidants.
- Good for: eggs-ellent for very meal! Boiling, scrambling, poaching, baking, BBQing.
- Store in fridge as per carton instructions.
Did you know?
Most of the protein in an egg can be found in the egg white, while the yolk contains healthy fats, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants.
Freeze them for up to 10 months by simply beating them together and adding 1 teaspoon of salt (or sugar) to each 6 yolks.
If you need a 'vegan egg' in baking, then sub each egg with chia seeds in water using ratio 1 chia : 3 water tablespoons (for each egg). White chia seeds work best.